The European Commission will support 1,580 former Air France employees with 17.7 million euros
The European Commission has decided to support around 1,580 former Air France workers who have lost their jobs due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with around €17.7 billion.
In a statement released on Tuesday, May 11, the European Commission announced that this funding was dependent on the European Globalization Adjustment Fund for Displaced Workers (EGF), which will also help these people find new jobs through the guidelines set out , reports SchengenVisaInfo.com. .
In this regard, the Commissioner for Labor and Social Rights, Nicolas Schmit, pointed out that the COVID-19 pandemic has had a major impact on travel and airline employees.
“With 17.7 million euros in financial support from the European Globalization Fund, we stand in solidarity with nearly 1,600 former Air France employees, helping them to reintegrate into the labor market. This EU support will help them retrain and find new jobs, or start their own business,” he also pointed out.
According to the European Commission, France’s request for EGF support serves to help laid-off Air France workers, as the COVID-19 pandemic has led to a significant drop in passenger and airline flights. The same request was approved on February 4 by the European Parliament.
“Support for laid-off workers includes counseling services, career guidance, job search assistance and the opportunity to learn new skills through tailored job training. Participants can also receive advice on how to start their own business and a start-up grant of up to €15,000,” read the statement.
In addition, these support measures include employment allowances, salary increases and rapid re-employment allowances for workers.
The European Commission has revealed that the estimated total cost of these measures is around €21 million, of which the EGF will cover 85%, or €17.7 million. On the other hand, Air France will finance the remaining 15%.
On February 16, the European Parliament decided to help some 300 Airbus employees in France who had lost their jobs due to COVID-19. Otherwise, this aid amounted to 3.7 million euros.
In a statement issued the same day, the European Parliament indicated that a full recovery is not expected at least before 2025 in the aviation sector.
Commenting on this situation, MEPs pointed out that in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, general travel restrictions have led to a general collapse in commercial aviation, in particular in the passenger sector.
A study published in early April by the tourist offices of the French National Federation (ADN Tourisme) and the French Agency for Tourism Development (Atout France) revealed the preferences of tourist destinations in France for French and international travelers.
According to ADN Tourism, France remains the preferred European destination, especially for American, Belgian, Italian and Spanish visitors.
Meanwhile, 70% of French people have planned to leave for their travel plans between April and June 2022.
For the 70% of French people who have already decided to go on vacation, the departure will include an average stay of 2.2 nights and the same plane to spend an average of ten days away from home during these three months.
In addition, 29% of travelers have planned their stays in hotel accommodations.
Comments are closed.